Cats were domesticated sometime between 4000 to 5000 years ago. Small wild cay started dwelling where human stored their grain. These are basically domestic pet animal which are used for household purpose. The scientific name of a cat is FELIS CATUS. They are usually black ,white, brown in color. In Indian tradition cats are also known as the aunt of lion. Despite the cats unbeatable night vision, a cats eyesight during the day time is also like human. so that it could be said that cats are nocturnal hunters.
- LIFE SPAN– 12 years to 14 years.
- WEIGHT – About 4 kg to 6 kg (for a healthy cat)
- DAILY SLEEP- 12 hrs 16 hrs
- BREED – There are more than 40 breeds of cats like
Persian, Siamese ,Maine coon, Rag doll, Bengal, British Shorthair, Sphynx, Abssianian, Burmese, American Shorthair, Scottish flood etc.
BODY STRUCTURE OF A CAT:
Their vertebrae are not as tightly connected as ours, making the cat’s spine extremely flexible.This feature enables the cat to arch his back and to twist or turn his body so that he can squeeze through the tiniest gaps. Second, the cat lacks a clavicle or collarbone. A collarbone would broaden the chest, thus reducing the cat’s ability to get through narrow spaces, and limiting the length of his stride.
For a healthy living all living species need to have a full nutritious and fiber full food . While choosing a cat food, check that the label says it meets the standards set by the American Association of Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). cats should be fed single protein food.
CARE & GROOMING:
Grooming cat is a another way to strong your bond with it. It is good to make your cat used to being brushed and combed from starting. long haired cat should be combed once a day.
BRUSHING: If cat’s fur are not too tangled, brush it for 15 minutes. some cats like to be brushed but some of them detest it. Do brushing carefully if it is highly tangled.
BATHING: If your cat is short haired then do not bath it till it is very dirty. but for long haired cat, try to give her once a week bath with a good cat shampoo. It will make her fur more silky.
TRIMMING NAILS: cats have a tendency to scratch thing to make it claws trim. But you should also help them to make their nails trimmed & sharp. you have to make your cat used to for this activity right from its younger age.
According to a study a indoor cat lives a life of 12 to 15 years whereas an outdoor cat lives only 4 to 5 years. Following disease are most serious in cats.
- CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE: An older cat which consumes a lot of water an urinates in same proportion, may be affected by this disease. While there is no any permanent cure for this but a low protein & low phosphorus diet can help out.
- DENTAL DISEASE: Dental disease can lead to heart and kidney problem. Regular brush is helpful to prevent with this but its very difficult to make your cat ready for daily brushing of her teeth.
- OBESITY: The indoor cats are too affected with this. canned food is best for cat protein instead of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are a huge source of fat for carnivores like cats.
PRICE IN INDIA:
In India a cat ranges from Rs 5000 to Rs 20,000 depending upon the breed.