Discus is a genus of cichlids native to the Amazon River basin.Because of their distinctive shape and bright colors,these fishes are popular as freshwater aquarium fish, and their aquaculture in several countries in Asia is a major industry.they are also referred to as pompadour fish.
Just like cichlids from the genus Pterophyllum, all Symphysodon species have a laterally compressed body shape. In contrast to the Pterophyllum, however, extended finnage is absent giving Symphysodon a more rounded shape. It is their body shape from which their common name has been derived. These fish sides are frequently patterned in various colors as green, red, brown, and blue. The height and length of the grown fish are both about 20 to 25 cm (8–10 in).
Location and habitat:
The three species of Symphysodon have different geographic distributions, the S. aequifasciatus occurs in the Rio Solimões,the Rio Amazonas and the Río Putumayo-Içá in Brazil, Colombia and Peru. In contrast the distribution of the S. discus appears to be limited to the lower reaches of the Abacaxis, and a few rivers.
There are only three recognized species in this genus:
Symphysodon aequifasciatus Pellegrin (Blue discus)
Symphysodon discus Heckel (Red discus)
Symphysodon tarzoo E. Lyons
Proper Care Of Discus Fish:
Discus fish are becoming one of the most popular aquarium fishes today because of their beautiful colorful looks. People like the sight of these multicolored fish in their fish tanks.Therefore if you are starting out you need to learn all about them and what techniques to use to keep them feeling they are still in their habitat.
1) You need to comprehend the behavior of Discus Fish.
2) One thing you should keep in mind is that they exist in communities in their natural habitation, thus you ought to think about what Discus Fish Tank Mates you should use for companions.
3) It is recommended to have a grouping of six or more fish to stop them from being lonely and avoid them being aggressive to their own kind.
4) The Discus is also a shy fish, therefore it is essential to put some knick-knacks and plants in your aquarium to give them places to hide.
5) In addition they are also susceptible to noise thus, you may not want to put them in an office or in places where there is noise and distraction.
6) Recognize their specific needs.
7) Follow a regular timetable of changing the water.
How will you know when your Discus are Sick?
For the new discus lovers early detection of any problem can be the difference between life or death for the animal.
Have good colour;
Clear bright eyes;
Their feces is dark in colour;
They are responsive to good quality food;
Are often seen swimming throughout the aquarium, playing by pecking each other.
The Basic Parameters:
* Water temperature is 84 to 85F or 29C for adult ones and 86F or 30C for fry;
* Nitrates are low 5 to 10 ppm, should not exceed 20 ppm, with negligible or “0” ammonia;
* Your aquarium should not have a low oxygen level from to many fish or from
using CO2 injection and plant fertilizers;
* You should be regular in maintenance with water changes, sponging
the inside glass and the lite cleaning of the filter. If you have ground cover, it is cleaned regularly so it does not harbour any uneaten food.
The larger ones keep chasing the smaller ones. The water quality is good and the tank is not over crowded. There are no other fishes in there to stress them easily. There is almost no difference in size, it is half an inch at most. They all were added at the same time and came from the same aquarium. They have plenty of hiding spots.
Price in India :
Discus is one of the most beautiful aquamarine fish. It costs almost Rs. 3225/- .
Related Search :