The Dutch Rabbit was once the most popular of all rabbit breeds. However after developments of Dwarf rabbits, the popularity of Dutch rabbit has decreased. the Dutch rabbit is easily identified by its color characteristic pattern. Dutch rabbits were originated in Netherlands. The color & patterns, which are specialty of these dutch, are inherited by their ancestors known as Petite Brabicon. By the time that breed appeared in 19th century in Great Britain so they are also known as Hollanders. Due to high expectations demanded for perfection in type and markings, Dutch is one of the greatest challenges for experienced breeder alike.
GENERAL PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION:
The Dutch rabbit is quietly small compact rabbit. Its ear stands erect and powerful back legs are longer than front legs. This rabbit is basically white with addition of any color. the life span of Dutch rabbit is 5 to 8 years but longer life span can be expected if neutered. General body type of Dutch rabbit is relatively rounded & balanced throughout. It starts from behind the head, over the shoulders to the highest point of loin and rounding off over hindquarter, regardless of the size of the rabbits, they are always rounded.
CHARACTERISTIC OF DUTCH RABBIT:
Most attractive & important characteristic of Dutch rabbit has to be formal attire of its marking. due to striking in appearance it always stands out of crowd.
General characteristics are as follows:
1. Average life span: 5 to 8 years
2. Maximum reported life span: 15 years
3.Average adult weight: 4 to 5.5 pounds
4. Average gestation period: 30 to 33 days
5. Average litter size: 5 to 6 kits
6. Optimal weaning age: 4 to 6 weeks
7. Average food consumption of adult rabbit: 0.8 ounces per pound
8. Average water consumption of adult rabbit: 5 to 10 ml per pound depending upon temperature & humidity.
1. Black dutch: It has dense, uniform jet-black, glossy, running deep towards skin. It has dark brown eye color.
2. Blue dutch: It has uniform medium dark blue glossy skin. its eye color is blue- gray.
3. Grey Dutch: It has agouti pattern which shows different bands of color. colored portion of the body are uniformly dispersed.
TEMPERAMENT & HANDLING:
These rabbits are small in size. Normally rabbits eat grass and herbs in morning and evening. But you have to take care of the food chart for your rabbit. Feed the rabbit pellet in the morning and good quality of hay in the evening. the pelleted food is much better than the mix-colored food. The hay helps to keep down the teeth in correct length. Clean water must be available for the rabbit.
Although the dutch is small rabbit but it does not belong to dwarf breed. At maturity age it weighs between 4 to 5.5 pounds.
Dutch rabbit has a very soft coat. They can easily be a victim of allergies. they have also health problems like dental problems, skin cancer, eye problem etc. When their teeth is over grown then it is the major issue in the health of a rabbit. Except this, overfeeding may cause in health problem. So do not over feed your Dutch.
HOW TO CARE FOR RABBIT HEALTH:
- A pet rabbit must be vaccinated by myxomatosis and viral hemorrhagic disease.
- If the behavior of rabbit is listless, lethargic , not moving then you should be concerned & take action.
Normally Dutch rabbits are come in pairs. You can but a single rabbit. The price for this rabbit pair is overall same in all over in India which is Rs 600/- only. This price is not too much for the rabbit lovers.