Fungal Infection in Dogs
As humans dogs also get infected of funguses which create infection in them. These fungi infect the body by getting inserted through respiratory system or skin breaks. Fungal diseases are categorized into two different types. The one which affects skin and mucous membranes and another is which is widespread and affects liver, brain, lungs and other parts or organs.
While dealing or taking care of the fungal infected dog, humans can also get infected, so proper precautions must be taken. Good hygiene must be maintained while curing the dog from the infection. The fungal infection is spread by parasites. These parasites get there nourishment by absorbing their food from the host body.
The breeds mostly infected by fungal infection are:
- Australian Terrier
- Lhasa Apso
- Silky Terrier
- Cocker Spaniel
- Basset Hound
Diseases caused by Fungal Infection are:
- Aspergillosis: It is a fungal infection caused by Aspergillus specie. It is found in almost all the domestic and wild species. Primarily it is a respiratory infection. It may differ from specie to specie.
Symptoms: Bloody nasal discharge, sneezing, swollen nose, decreased appetite, nose bleed.
Treatement: The most common anti fungal drugs used are Itraconazole, Fluconazole and Ketoconazole. Tn this infection the anti fungal drugs are directly inserted in the nose.
- Blastomycosis: This fungal infection is commonly found along the Eastern seashore, in region close to lakes and Mississippi River Valley. This fungus survives on the moist and rotting material. The dogs get infection by inhaling the infected spores.
Symptoms: Sign of coughing, pneumonia, weight loss, lameness.
Treatment:The symptom can be reduced by Prognosis only when treatment has been started at early age.
- Cryptococcus: This infection is caused by the yeast. The dogs get infected when they inhale infected spores from the soil. This fungus affects the brain, eyes, skin and lymph nodes of the dogs.
Symptoms: Nasal discharge, coughing, seizures, head pressing against wall, blindness and dementia. Swollen lymph may be seen.
Treatment:For this infection oral anti fungal drugs are mostly used. These drugs are effetie in the initial stage that too partially.
- Histoplasmosis: These kind of fungal infections are mostly seen in Central US. It is mostly common in the areas with nitrogen rich soil which is found with the growth of causative fungus. Humans are also infected by this fungus.
Symptoms: Weight loss, severe diarrhea, vomiting, coughing, enlargement of tonsils, fewer. Organs infected are liver, skin, eyes and brain sometimes.
Treatment:Particularly given oral anti fungal drugs are Itraconazole, Fluconazole and Ketoconazole which are very effective. The drug named Amphteracin B is often added to the treatment.
- Coccidiomycosis: It is a systematic fungal disease which is life threatening. It is commonly known as Valley fewer. This fungus is mostly found in the dry regions of South Western US and Mexico.
Symptoms: Weight loss, chronic cough, fewer, lameness, also affects liver, bones, lymph node and brain sometimes.
Treatment: This fungal infection can be cured by Itraconazole, Fluconazole and Ketoconazole but require prolonged medication to prevent from reoccurane.